The Mount Rushmore of People Who Are Always Right
- Merlin is an enthusiastic new fan of making 3D prints and then doing things to them.
- Regrettably, Merlin also enjoys talking about this.
- Merlin co-hosts a fortnightly podcast called Reconcilable Differences with his worst friend, John Siracusa.
- On an episode scheduled to be released on Friday 29 September 2023, John interrogates Merlin about his weird new hobby during the member after show.
- Merlin has assured John that photos of this weird obsession will be provided for our beloved listeners. That is this. It is where you are right now. Hello.
- What John does not know is that Merlin is currently developing a very handsome bust of John.
- John is not a good friend, and he does not deserve such a gesture. Which highlights the dysfunctional dynamic of their relationship better than more seemingly lucid prose explanations could.
- John makes nothing for Merlin.
A Factory Tour
Please keep your arms inside the vehicle at all times.
My Apparatus I need my tools Painting things
Remember, they call it “stain” for a reason. As demonstrated by the comma of walnut stain that’s still on my left thumbnail from over 3 weeks ago
Some little guys
Sunday Siracusa Head
Start - Friday 9 pm
- Source: Haunted Bust
- Printer: Monoprice Voxel
- Filament: Polymaker Black PolyLite PLA-CF (Amazon)
- Hyper Quality
- Layer Height: 0.08mm
- Infill: 20%
- No brim or raft
Sunday 9:44 am
Alt text Alt text Alt text
Cleanup 1, Sunday 10:26 am
Quick cleanup, clipping off big nubbins, then 320 grit sandpaper
The Stand, Sunday ca. 12 pm
Listening: Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (1973)
Printing on the base begins with OVV3D PLA+ wood-infused filament in ‘Walnut’ (Amazon)
Hyper quality and 200°C extruder temp.
The .gx file Infuse me with your wood, Daddy
The stroopwafel emerges
Three hours in. Turning out very cool so far
Cleanup 2, Sunday 12:48 pm
A weird and potentially controversial stage.
5-minute soak in acetone (“ACETONE?!?”) to soften things up, and then we do another round of 320 grit sand paper.
Alt text Alt text
Primer and Paint, Sunday 1:46 pm
- Listening: John Vanderslice - Time Travel is Lonely (2001)
- Beverage: iced tea
Alt text Alt text He’s so fucking angry. “Sure,” the face says.
Base coat prototype, Sunday 4:09 pm
- Listening: Tony Molina - Kill the Lights (2018)
- Beverage: plain seltzer
Swatches! For context, this guy from late last week is “Iron Hands Steel”
Afternoon Status Summary, 4:52 pm
1. Drying head 2. Sweet-looking stand 3. Swatches!
- Siracusa’s head is mostly dry from the primer layer
- touch-up/cleanup prolly later tonight
- walnut stand needs about another hour, but is looking awesome
- basic colors have been provisionally chosen
- Listening: boygenius - the record (2023)
Probably back after dinner and family time.
I thank you for your sweetly faked attention.
Intermission: Holy Shit
It fits and everything!
Diary, 9:22 pm
I darkly enjoy how much this web page reads like Mark Zuckerberg drunkenly live-blogging his hacking of the Harvard houses to make “Facemash.”
Late night grunt work, 11:39 pm
1. Sanded the stand 2. Stained the stand 3. Weird low lights 4. Base layer begins 5. Base layer continues 6. Well, hello, handsome.
- Sanded the stand (80 → 320 → 400 grit)
- Quick layer of Light Walnut wood stain on the stand
- Probably pointless low lights with Citadel “Iron Warriors” base paint
- Base coat part 1, layer 1 (Citadel “Leadbelcher”)
- Base coat part 1, layer 2
- Base coat, part 2
- Listening: Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (1980)
My Worst Friend John has stand options. The version for The National Portrait Gallery
- Listening: The Avalanches - Since I Left You (2000)
- Beverage: iced tea
Okay. Just for purposes of this week’s episode, I’m gonna go ahead and call this one done for now.
Obviously, I reserve the right to make more Johns Siracusa in the future, but, remember, real fake artists ship.
Coming Friday 29 September at https://relay.fm/rd. Support the program and hear the 3D talk by joining up.